Central Texas News 13 is a 24-hour local cable TV news channel based in Austin, Texas, owned by WMFL Corporation. Launched on September 13th 1999, it's available only to cable subscribers who live in Central Texas, which includes Austin, San Marcos, Round Rock, Temple, Killeen & Waco.
The channel operates on a wheel format, offering recorded blocks of news, features & weather. During more limited times of the day, it also provides traffic & sports segments. Producers update the wheel throughout the day, inserting new material as stories are filed & updated information becomes available. Weather segments air every 10 minutes "on the 1's". The channel also provides nonstop "wall-to-wall" weather coverage during Tornado & Thunderstorm warnings.
News 13's studios are located @ 1708 Colorado Street in Austin, just north of the Capitol & immediately south of the main campus of the University of Texas.
Without the traditional limitations faced by network affiliates, News 13 is known in Austin for it's coverage of community news & more restrained coverage of TV news staples such as crime & scandal. The channel is also distinct from traditional TV news operations in that it's shows are traditionally hosted by a single anchor & in that it's reporters occasionally set up, shoot & edit their own stories without the assistance of a video photographer.
News 13 also operates several other video & information services, including:
- News 13's Radar NOW, a 24-hour Doppler Radar service, with NOAA Weather Radio audio
- News 13's Non-Stop Weather, 24-hour regional weather channels in both English & Spanish. Now also in HD
- News 13's Traffic NOW, a 24-hour traffic camera service utilizing TXDOT roadway cameras from around the Austin area
- News 13's Non-Stop Sports, a 24-hour sports headline channel featuring local & national sports highlights
- Central Texas News 13 on Demand, a video-on-demand archive of features, series & event coverage from Central Texas News 13