|Slogan||Edmonton's only all-news radio station|
|Frequency||880 kHz (AM)|
|First air date||August 19, 1965|
|Website||iNews 880's Website|
CHQT is a radio station in Edmonton, Alberta, broadcasting it's signal on 880 kHz AM with an ERP of 50,000 watts. It also broadcasts on AM stereo using the C-QUAM system. The station currently operates an all-news radio format under the brand name iNews 880 & is owned by Corus Entertainment.
CHQT can also be received on 93.5 MHz on Shaw Cable FM.
- The station started on August 19, 1965 on 1110 kHz, with 10,000 watts power.
- In 1979, CHQT started using 50,000 watts power
- In 1985, the station changed frequency to 880 kHz on the sale to Monarch Broadcasting, Ltd.
- In June 2001, CHQT began using the moniker COOL 880.
- In October 2003, it became '880 JOE AM' for a few months before it returned to 'COOL 880' on January 13, 2004. The reason for the change to Joe AM was to protect it's sister station Power 92 (CKNG-FM). The company was afraid that another broadcaster would scoop the name & or format on the FM band. It was a bad move as the station lost a considerable amount of it's listeners. They have never returned to their historic rating before the change. Power 92 then became JOE FM & abandoned the top 40 format in favor of an 80's & 90's mix of music. Oddly enough, the change from Power 92 to Joe FM also resulted in a massive loss of listeners for the FM station.
- On May 20, 2008 @ 6:30 AM, the COOL 880 oldies format switched to all-news.
Other facts Edit
- Before the name change & being bought by Corus Entertainment, their news slogan was This is Alberta's Major News station - AM 880 CHQT - Currently all newscasts on Edmonton Corus radio stations are produced by 630 CHED
Half-hour newswheel Edit
- 0:00 - Headlines
- 0:01 - Traffic and Weather
- 0:03 - News
- 0:07 - Commercial
- 0:08 - News
- 0:10 - Commercial
- 0:11 - Traffic and Weather
- 0:13 - Business and Markets
- 0:15 - Sports
- 0:17 - Commercial
- 0:18 - News
- 0:20 - Commercial
- 0:21 - Traffic and Weather
- 0:23 - News
- 0:26 - Commercial
- 0:27 - Blogs
- 0:29 - Commercial